Meet Our Team
Dr Anton James
Director and Founder
MEd, M.Sc., BCBA, PhD, CPsychol., AFBPsS.
• Board Certified Behaviour Analyst (BCBA) – USA
• Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol) and an Associate Fellow (AFBPsS), Full Member of the Division of Academics, Researchers, and Teachers in Psychology of the British Psychological Society (BPS) – UK
• Chartered Behavioural Psychologist (C.Behav.Psychol., Ps.S.I. of Irish Psychological Society)
• International Behavior Analyst (IBA)
Dr Anton James is a visionary leader and pioneer in the field of special needs education. He is also the Founder and Director of The Tree House International - Sri Lanka's first international school dedicated to children with special needs. Dr Anton's extensive international qualifications span influential fields and specialisations that place him in a unique leadership position in the special education sphere. Drawing out the best from different globally renowned academic approaches Dr Anton holds the qualifications of a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst (BCBA) from the USA, a Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol) from the UK, and a Chartered Behavioural Psychologist (C.Behav.Psychol.) from Ireland. Each of these credentials serves to consolidate his commitment to enrich the lives of children with special needs while providing inexhaustible support to their families. Retracing his academic journey reveals that Dr Anton embarked on his educational career at the University of Toronto, where he completed his undergraduate degree in Psychology. Propelled by his unwavering passion for special needs education, he extended his studies to Penn State University in the USA. While at Penn State he immersed himself in postgraduate training in Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) after which Dr Anton emerged as the world's first BCBA of Sri Lankan origin. His insatiable thirst for knowledge saw him complete his first master’s degree in Inclusive Education at the Open University in the UK and a second master's degree focused on research in education, at the University of Manchester. His academic journey culminated with a Doctorate in Psychology from the same institution, making him a Chartered Psychologist, Associate Fellow, and a full member of the Division of Academics, Researchers, and Teachers in Psychology at the British Psychological Society. Dr Anton's comprehensive expertise and his exceptional ability to manage problem behaviours is a pivotal factor that enables him to facilitate transformation and change, clearly underscoring his holistic approach to special needs education. With more than two decades of hands-on experience, Dr Anton has mastered a diverse range of skills from diagnosis to assessment and treatment of conditions ranging from ASD, ADHD, Sensory Processing Difficulties, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder, Developmental Motor Coordination Disorder, Speech Sound Disorder, Auditory Processing Disorder, EDS, and many others. He is renowned for his specialised practice of ABA, behavioural psychology, development of Individual Education Plans (IEP), Sensory Integration, treatment of picky eating, and the management of problem behaviours, speech, and CBT for children with special needs. As a pioneer in the sector with an unwavering commitment to making a difference Dr Anton continues to drive innovation at The Tree House International, steering the institution to embrace the best of both British and American pedagogy. The teaching methods he implements are grounded in the latest scientific research. Under his leadership, The Tree House International enjoys a reputation for being the only school in Sri Lanka run by Board Certified Behaviour Analysts and a Chartered Behavioural Psychologist. The Tree House International is also the only institution approved to teach the International Behaviour Therapist qualification. These accomplishments are a testament to Dr Anton's leadership and commitment to excellence. Currently, Dr Anton continues providing evidence-based therapies approved in the UK, and in the USA. Every child at The Tree House is seen as unique, and deserving of an approach and treatment that is specifically tailored to them. As he charts the course for The Tree House International, what is abundantly clear to anyone who walks through the doors at The Three House International is this; Dr Anton brings not only his world-class qualifications and comprehensive knowledge of the field but also a deep-seated passion for special needs education. His devotion to his cause and his students is palpable in every aspect of his work, inspiring others around him to strive for the same levels of dedication and excellence.
BCBA, LBA, IBA
• Board Certified Behaviour Analyst
• Licensed Behaviour Analyst (Hawaii)
• International Behaviour Analyst
Chrystal (CJ) Honsaker has worked in the field of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) since 2003. She began her career as Therapeutic Staff Support for several Behavioral Health Rehabilitation Services providers in Pennsylvania, USA, providing direct service to children with a wide range of mental health diagnoses, including autism spectrum disorder (ASD), ADHD, down syndrome, oppositional defiant disorder, disruptive behavior disorder, conduct disorder, reactive attachment disorder, mood disorder, schizophrenia, and others. Chrystal has extensive experience providing ABA direct service, training, and consultation in the home, school, and community settings. Upon completion of her master's degree in Youth and Family Education from The Pennsylvania State University, USA, she continued to work in the field of ABA as a Behavioural Specialist Consultant and Mobile Therapist. She eventually obtained a position as a County Coordinator, in which she was responsible for the oversight and direction of ABA services for an entire region. Prior to relocating to Hawaii, USA, Chrystal completed her BCBA coursework and specialization in Autism Intervention from the University of Massachusetts, USA. She worked as a BCBA Clinical Coordinator for several companies in Hawaii until 2015, when she decided to pursue her interests abroad. Chrystal has provided ABA services globally and continues to work closely with local communities in Uganda. In 2016, she co-founded a transition and educational center in Uganda, with the long-term goal of establishing an autism educational classroom. She is currently completing her PhD in International Psychology from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, USA, with a specialization in Organizations and Systems, as well as a certification in Organizational Behaviour from Harvard University, USA. Chrystal continues to provide ABA supervision, parent training, and mentorship for newly certified BCBAs through Kuhn Behavioral Consulting Services, USA.
• Registered Behaviour Technician (RBT) (USA) • International Behaviour Therapist (IBT) • Dip Executive Secretarial Studies • Dip Office Management • Dip Entrepreneurial skills (Netherlands) • Cert Handle Level 2 (Australia) Desiree's role at The Tree House International benefits from her multifaceted expertise and professional experience as a Management Assistant, Office Manager, and a successful business proprietor in the Netherlands. Having honed her competencies in these roles, including serving as a trusted assistant to a board of directors, Desiree deploys an impactful skill set in service of her vocation. Her dedication to the cause of Autism Spectrum Disorder stems from a deeply personal experience. Just before moving from the Netherlands to Sri Lanka, her son got his autism diagnosis. She became passionate to create more autism awareness and acceptance in Sri Lanka. Since 2008, Desiree has pioneered multiple advocacy efforts in Sri Lanka with relentless dedication and provided invaluable support to parents of children on the spectrum while promoting awareness and acceptance within the community. As a testament to her commitment, Desiree completed a Behaviour Therapist course under the expert guidance of Dr. Anton James and earned the credentials of a Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) and International Behavior Therapist (IBT). Driven by her thirst for knowledge, Desiree also devoted herself to exploring diverse educational and biomedical therapies and is adept at numerous interventions. Desiree is currently focused on a mission to establish a supported living project for young adults with autism as she envisions a future where they can reach their full potential and lead fulfilling lives. Her motivation resonates with the words of Jenny McCarthy, "HOPE is the greatest thing for moms of autism, HOPE is what gets us out of bed in the morning and I'm on a mission to tell parents that there is a way." Desiree brings this indomitable spirit to her role at The Tree House International, along with her passion, professionalism, and heartfelt dedication.
Bio will follow.